Interference with an Officer (interference with Public Duties) [Texas Penal Code Title 8 Chapter 38] in Texas is a serious criminal offense that can result in both large fines and jail time. In Harris County / Houston it is considered a Class B Misdemeanor with fines up to $2000 and up to 180 days in jail. In addition, a person can receive up to 2 years of probation.

What is Interference with Public Duties?

A person may be charged with interference with public duties if one interferes with:

  • A peace officer while he or she is performing a duty or exercising authority granted by law
  • A fire fighter while fighting a fire or investigating a fire
  • An animal under the supervision of an officer, corrections officer, jailer
  • The transmission of communications over a citizen’s radio channel when the purpose of communication concerns an emergency
  • An officer with animal control responsibility
  • A person who has responsibility for assessing and enforcing public health

It is sometimes the case that a public official or officer may perceive interference when that is not the case. For this reason, if you or a loved one is charged with interference with public duties in Houston, Harris County, or surrounding areas it is incumbent to seek professional legal help.

Consequences for Interfering with Public Duties

In addition to jail time, fines, and probation, a conviction of interference with public duties can have long lasting consequences on one’s potential for employment and certifications as this is a charge that will show on one’s record and background check. A person may even lose their current employment. If you are being charged with interference with an officer / public duties, it is important to retain an experienced criminal defense attorney who will not only defend you but seek to have this charged dismissed so that it doesn’t threaten your future well-being.

Carl Haggard has over 30 years of experience defending the people of Houston and has a winning track record of case victories against interference with police charges. Call (832) 328-0600 today for a free confidential consultation about your charges and he will immediately go to work to fight for you.